Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Process of Inoculation

inculcate |inˈkəlˌkāt; ˈinkəl- instill (an attitude, idea, or habit) by persistent instruction
• teach (someone) an attitude, idea, or habit by such instruction : they will try to inculcate you with a respect for culture.

When I was 440lbs there were a ton of ways I was numb to the fact that I was slowly committing suicide with my habits. One of my drugs of choice was technology (TV, intertent, and video games). I always thought I never had enough time for working out, training, and going to the shooting range. 

Then I had an Ah Ha moment when I sat down to watch the show Biggest Loser with an entire large pizza all to myself. I realized two things in that moment; 1. that with all the technology - there wasn't enough time for what I truly desired in my heart to do, which is martial arts. 2. was that I was living vicariously though others and I wanted to start doing what I use to love. 

This realization has changed my life forever... my down time has been transformed into something amazing. It's actually enjoyable and peaceful since I am not filling that time with video games, TV, and videos. In fact, I am also saving tons of money since we don't have cable and video games to eat away at the budget. Now I am not saying that technology is bad in and of itself but what I am saying is anything moderation is key! but the real challenge is to ask yourself this - Is this benefiting me?

If you too would like to know what technology freedom feels like - check out this challenge on Whole9.com - Kill Your TV. It will challenge you in ways you probably never foresaw. 

Here is to the inoculation of deadly habits and the welcoming of life giving changes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment